218-236 NE Third
These are five small one-story commercial buildings that share common walls. All but four have ben stuccoed. The 1912 Sanborn map shows all five buildings, but the two easternmost were constructed of wood; by 1928 all appear the same on the Sanborn map.
225 NE Third
This one-story structure has a flat cornice and a panel of diamond shapes in raised brick, which top the stuccoed transoms. This building was built in 1918 for William Smith of Smith-Courtemanche.
310-320 NE Third
This one-story brick-faced structure contains four retail establishments, each with a separate recessed entry. Four inset panels decorated with raised cut brickwork in diamond shapes top the storefronts.
This building was constructed in 1892 by William Campbell, a pioneer who came to McMinnville in 1858 from his native state of New York. Campbell was a blacksmith when he first came to McMinnville. He soon invested in real estate and building construction. He oversaw a committee, which promoted securing the Southern Pacific Railroad line to be continued through McMinnville
In 1911, the discussion of building a Carnegie Library in McMinnville had begun. Tax funding and a library board were created by an ordinance in 1911.
This large, rectangular, three-story, stuccoed brick Italianate building has a flat roof and a decorative pressed metal-bracketed cornice. Stuccoed belt courses articulate the story divisions. The Third street façade originally had four bays but now has two as a result of the Mack Theater being installed in the eastern half of this façade.
The Eggleston Block was designed by architect O. S. Combs; A. F. Arthur was the general contractor. This building replaced a wooden structure, the Commercial Hotel, which was destroyed by a fire. The building was originally constructed in 1928 to house Hotel Bays. It is a rectangular two-story stuccoed concrete building with a low pediment in the middle and at the corner of the parapet on both facades.
This two-story wood frame gable roof house was originally a symmetrical T-shaped plan. The property has since been substantially altered on all elevations.
The tallest building in downtown McMinnville, Hotel Elberton is a rectangular four-story brick building. The ground floor has been altered on both façades. A small neon sign at the top of the southwest corner of the building reads “Hotel Oregon”.
Houck’s Flouring Mill
The original structure is five and one-half stories, constructed of wood beams with wood flooring and siding, which has been covered over with corrugated metal. A later building addition was made on the east end of the original building.
J. B. Mardis
This two-story brick rectangular structure was constructed in 1910 at the cost of $15,000. The building was named after Joseph B. Mardis, a real estate developer who came to McMinnville from California.
Knights of Pythias Building
This rectangular two-story stuccoed brick structure is Italianate in style. The decorative cut brick frieze is still intact. A short parapet wall rising from the cornice line conceals the roof. Stucco covers the façade but the brick is still exposed on the west elevation.
This is a three-story buff-colored brick structure with a flat roof, built-in 1913 at the cost of $38,000. It replaces an earlier Masonic Hall, which was a smaller, two-story Italianate brick structure occupied by Bishop Clothiers.
McMinnville National Bank Building
Constructed in 1885 by Mr.Braly, the McMinnville National Bank Building is a narrow, two-story Italianate brick structure covered in stucco. The Yamhill County Bank opened on October 18, 1886 and was in business until 1888 before becoming the McMinnville National Bank from 1888–1905.
Montgomery Ward Building
This building was built by W.T Vinton and William Smith ca.1921 to Montgomery Ward’s specifications. It replaced an earlier 1880s two-story brick structure that housed a Studebaker garage.
O.O. Hodson Building
This two-story brick structure, originally known as the O. O. Hodson Building, is stuccoed and scored with horizontal lines. The original façade on the ground floor has been replaced with large plate glass aluminum frame store windows and a recessed entrance.
This two-story, stucco-covered square brick building was constructed ca.1904. The entire southwest portion of the ground floor was cut away in the 1920s to accommodate automobiles and gasoline pumps.
Odd Fellows Hall
This three-story rectangular brick building is covered with stucco and an aggregate material on the Third Street façade. There are two storefront bays on the Third Street façade and one entrance to the second floor at the south end.
Old City Power Plant
This rectangular brick one and one-half story building has a flat roof with a plain concrete cornice at the rooftop. It was constructed in 1926 and its brick pattern is common bond. One of the most defining features of this building is the one and one-half story high windows on all sides with 15 to 25 lights per window.
Old Elks Building
This building was constructed in 1908 for the McMinnville’s Elk Lodge. The top floor was occupied by the lodge rooms, and the lower floor had numerous small shops. In 1912, the first floor was divided into four sections; a dry goods store, a statuary, a restaurant, and the Gaiety Movie Theater. The ground floor has been altered.
Old Telephone Register
This rectangular one-story brick structure was originally two properties. The oldest portion of this building was constructed by Cully Perine in 1902 to house the Telephone-Register. The other portion was constructed ca. 1920.
Old US Post Office
The Old U. S. Post Office is a one-story brick building with a daylight basement. The structure has a common bond brick exterior façade on all sides and sits upon a cement foundation. The roof is flat and is topped by a brick parape
Samuel Cozine House
The Samuel and Mahala Cozine House is a Queen Anne style Victorian built in 1892 by early pioneer Samuel Cozine and his wife, Mahala. They resided here together until Samuel’s death in 1897. Mahala continued to live here until her death in 1908.
Built-in 1884, this two-story Italianate brick building originally housed various saloons until 1911, when it became a grocery store. John Shilling purchased the building in 1905 and covered the brick façade with stucco.
Southern Pacific Rail Depot
In July of 1879 the Western Oregon Railroad provided McMinnville with its first rail connection and stimulated development of the town. This craftsman-style depot was constructed in 1912 with the arrival of the electric interurban rail service between Eugene and Portland.